Week 9 - Book Club Experience

 



I decided to experiment with participating in an online book club for this assignment. After a bit of research, I found a 2023 article from The Washington Post focused on finding the right online book club, which is where I discovered the app, Fable. There was a plethora of book clubs to choose from, so many that it was almost overwhelming to try to find just one. After browsing and considering, I decided to choose two clubs, one with a small community of participants and one large, to see if the size of the club noticeably affected the discussion experience. 

I am going to keep the names of the clubs and the participants anonymous, but will say at the time of my participation, the smaller club didn’t have a specific genre it focused on, had a total of 18 members, and covered the book, Chasing the Boogeyman by Richard Chizmar; the larger club focused on romance titles (covering a variety of subgenres), had a little over 1,800 members, and covered the book, Butcher & Blackbird by Brynne Weaver.

Each club had a designated moderator, responsible for selecting the title to be discussed, setting the schedule (reading milestones), and starting the discussion with a ‘kickoff’ post. Chapters, or sets of chapters, were their own separate threads, where posts and replies could be contained and discussed without the potential for spoilers. Each club was asynchronous; there were no set dates/times in which to post for each thread, and participation was entirely voluntary. The only dates set beforehand were the starting and ending dates for the chosen title, otherwise participants could comment and reply at their leisure. 

Neither of the moderators provided a set of official questions, nor referenced what I would consider “book club questions”, which I found slightly disappointing. Throughout the readings for both clubs, there wasn’t really a discussion being held, rather each chapter/set of chapters had its own thread where participants could post their thoughts and respond to one another. While I did find enjoyment in this type of interaction (for Butcher & Blackbird specifically, it was so full of hilarious quotes and interactions between the main characters, that I found myself commonly responding with a few other like-minded participants), I was looking forward to a more structured discussion environment. Even with the interactions I mentioned about swapping funny moments with the B&B crowd, I didn’t feel like we were stealing the spotlight away from the “main” discussion, in fact, for a lot of the chapter posts, we were the only ones posting any content at all. 

As for general participation, even though the moderators didn’t provide a “structured book club discussion” (as I was expecting), that’s not to say they didn’t interact at all; for sections that didn’t seem to have conversations being started, they at least posted their personal thoughts, and for sections that did have comments/replies, they also provided their thoughts and sometimes expanded on others’ comments. Regarding participation, I had more involved and varied replies from the larger book club; when I made my choices selecting a small and large club, I assumed the smaller club would provide more in-depth discussion, because it was smaller and felt more ‘cozy’, however, I was proven wrong, as I actually had more varied and enjoyable interactions in the large club. 

Unfortunately, since these were clubs held entirely online, no snacks or drinks were provided, other than what I might have been partaking of at the time of posting comments or replies :) 

I would try another book club from Fable in the future, but I would definitely dig a bit more when researching, to see if the moderator provides or references book club-style questions, in order to guide a more focused discussion.




Reference







Comments

  1. What an interesting experience! I have not heard of a book club in this style. When you said online book club, I assumed it was via Zoom or something. I might have to look into it, because the asynchronous nature sounds perfect for me right now. Reading through your comments though, I think I would also prefer to have a more structured discussion, but it 's good that the leaders would at least get the conversations started if it was slow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I agree. I would prefer more structure and personal interaction, but this type of club would definitely suit some peoples' lifestyles and preferences!

      Delete
  2. This is interesting and different! I'm wondering if these book clubs were associated with any public library? Did you get any information about the moderators' qualifications? When you said one group had 1800 participants, I couldn't believe it! But you provided a good explanation of a totally different type of book club than I've ever heard of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't immediately apparent from the club home pages, or the moderators' profiles, whether they were associated with a library or not...

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! I thought it was funny how briefly this was mentioned in the article by Hoffert (2019) when discussing trends in book clubs compared to how popular they are now just a few years later. Of course, who could have predicted a pandemic that forced us all to learn how to do things virtually. I do like how vast and varied the selections are so every reader can find their people. It's nearly impossible to cater to every taste through in-person library groups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maryanne, I recently discovered Fable and I've joined a club that one of my friends is doing. I'm intrigued by the idea of using this platform for libraries. I can't even imagine how a book club with over 1,800 people would function. That sounds like way too many notifications and super overwhelming for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I downloaded the app Fable a while ago but haven't had the chance to actually use it. After reading your post, I am curious to check out one of the book clubs they offer. There is another very similar app called Bookclubs. I have joined a few different book clubs through that organization but have not actively participated in any of them yet. I love that one of the books was Butcher & Blackbird. I read that book earlier this year and can imagine there were many interesting and funny conversations about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After reading this, I think I'll have to give Fable a try! While it may have its limitations, I can see how an asynchronous book club with comments rather than live discussion could be a great fit for a lot of people (including myself) who want to interact with other readers but do not have a schedule that is conducive to a scheduled meeting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of Fable before! That is definitely a resource I will be tucking away for a later time! Great write up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts