Week 6 - Prompt Response

 


Pitch an idea for an integrated advisory approach to promote romance materials at the library.


     I would like to elaborate on the popular "Blind Date With A Book" activity display, including other library materials to both accompany and enhance the promotion of romance-themed library items. For the book portion, I would select a variety of romance oriented titles, not only the "classics", but also those that may cause a patron to do a double-take and wonder, "Huh...how does this relate to romance...?" (for example, Butcher & Blackbird by Brynne Weaver and That Sik Luv by Jescie Hall); also, I would make sure to include both well-circulated and less-circulated titles, to allow both types to have a chance at finding a new audience. I would wrap the selected titles and place a placard on the wrapping with a few choice descriptors and/or a quote from the book, to give the patron an idea of what the plot is, but not give away either the title or author. 

    As for the integrated advisory portion, I would select 2-3 relevant materials (music CDs, movies/TV shows, video games, magazines, etc.) for each wrapped book, with similar appeals/themes/story lines, and display them alongside the book with fun catchphrases about how they relate to it and/or why they recommend the particular book they're representing. Patrons would be encouraged to choose at least one (if not all!) of the other items alongside the chosen book and see if they agree or not whether it accurately represented the book it was paired with. I would also consider including a small survey/suggestion sheet with the items for the patron to fill out to tell us their thoughts both on the book itself and the accompanying items, to be turned in when they return the materials.

    Finally, I would consider incentivizing the filling out of the survey/suggestions sheets by having a few prize options (potentially via marked age range groups), and for each returned sheet the patron receives one entry into the prize drawing, to be drawn after a certain amount of time (ex. at the end of the display's duration).



Every serial killer needs a friend.

Every game must have a winner.

When a chance encounter sparks an unlikely bond between rival murderers Sloane and Rowan, the two find something elusive—the friendship of a like-minded, pitch-black soul. From small town West Virginia to upscale California, from downtown Boston to rural Texas, the two hunters collide in an annual game of blood and suffering, one that pits them against the most dangerous monsters in the country. But as their friendship develops into something more, the restless ghosts left in their wake are only a few steps behind, ready to claim more than just their newfound love. Can Rowan and Sloane dig themselves out of a game of graves? Or have they finally met their match?  --Goodreads






Fornication is a sin.

As it reads, we should flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.

They teach us that these thoughts, these actions, are immoral. But that dark side that lives inside all of us, the true nature of man, drives us to seek the need that burns within, demanding to be set free. Deep inside of our bones lies that intrinsic need, one desperate to escape. An innate behavior, seemingly out of our control.

One that screams for sins they tell us are condemning.

Aero is the throat from which I scream.

The dark parts of myself I want hidden from this world are all he sees when he gazes at me beneath yet another mask.

He’s the demon drowning me in my own underlying desires.

He may never stop. Not until I succumb to my truths, or die beneath the weight of his unrelenting grasp.

Because according to him, the life I’ve been living is a hell far worse than death.

--Goodreads







References

[Book with heart-shaped pages in front of white lights]. (2023). Top 79+ imagen love book background. https://thpthoanghoatham.edu.vn/top-79-imagen-love-book-background/


[Open book with pen and rose]. (2023). Top 79+ imagen love book background. https://thpthoanghoatham.edu.vn/top-79-imagen-love-book-background/

Comments

  1. Hi Maryanne!

    I really love your idea of pairing movies/video games/etc. with the books! CDs could even be arranged in such a way to make a playlist for the chosen titles. I believe when I was flipping through Butcher & Blackbird with a colleague we noticed it had a playlist inside of it. It's an interesting trend in the romance world, especially with self-published titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! Oooo, the playlist idea is cool!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Maryanne and Grace--I love the idea of pairing books with music! Especially for romance, since that genre in particular evokes emotions and I think music does the same. Now I'm considering my library's teen collection and thinking that matching songs to teen books would work well and be something a little different. The catch is that I don't know any current popular music... but I know a couple of teens who do! What a fun collaborative RA project. Do you think pairing books with Taylor Swift songs would work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen the Blind Date with a Book display at a library, before but I've never actually picked one. The survey/prize is a good incentive. I am glad that you gave Butcher and Blackbird as an example, as I never would have guessed that to be a romance title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you took a classic idea and switched it up. This sounds like it would be a fun display!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts