Week 4 - Secret Shopper (Summary)

 

Since I currently am living in Japan, and do not fluently speak or read Japanese, I did not have access to a public library to conduct a RA secret shopper inquiry in-person; instead, I randomly chose three public libraries online and submitted inquires electronically. I began by performing a general search for ‘public library personalized recommendations’ and made sure to choose libraries that I was completely unfamiliar with, to reduce personal bias as much as possible. Each of the libraries I selected had markedly different online forms to fill out as part of the personalized RA service, and oddly enough, the library whose form I was most unimpressed with turned out to provide the most satisfying RA experience, while the library whose form I found quite enjoyable provided my least satisfying RA experience. Wyatt and Saricks (2019) explain that, “The goal of readers’ advisory (RA) service is to help readers discover titles they are currently in the mood to read” (p. xv), and even with their differing approaches to obtaining the information needed to conduct a RA search, each of the libraries I contacted fulfilled this goal.

Overall, the (online) RA service experience was mostly what I was expecting, as I received recommendations from all three libraries that immediately went onto my To-Read list, but also found that not every recommendation hit the mark for me. When the forms asked for books I liked/did not like and why, I kept in mind Saricks’ (2009) Rule of Three, “What are the three words that best capture the appeal of the book?” (p. 25); by providing the librarian with specific, concise reasons why I enjoyed (or did not) the books listed, it would hopefully allow the RA search to be better targeted towards similar titles and appeals. The recommendations that were a success did have similar appeals, while the less successful titles, ended up being books I had either read before and did not fully enjoy, or were YA, which I do not usually gravitate towards.

I was surprised by the fact that the RA form I initially liked least of all belonged to the library that I had the best service experience with; yet another prime example for ‘not judging a book by its cover’! Given this, I would absolutely contact library #3 again for future recommendations. I would not completely discount library #1 and #2 for future recommendations, but would keep in mind the reply time frame and take that into consideration when next I requested RA service, and would also make sure to inform the librarian of the previous recommendations that did not suit and give reasons why.

The suggestions I would offer for a more positive future RA service encounter would be, to try to shorten the reply time frame and to make sure to conclude the reply with statements about follow-up communication, regarding whether or not recommendations were suitable, or if there were any additional concerns.

 

References

Saricks, J. (2009). At leisure: The rule of three. Booklist, 106(3), 25.

Wyatt, N., & Saricks, J. G. (2019). The readers’ advisory guide to genre fiction (3rd ed.). ALA Editions.


Picture Reference: [What Should I Read Next? over row of colorful books] (2020). NCW Libraries. https://www.ncwlibraries.org/let-us-help-you-find-your-next-read-2/

Comments

  1. I am glad you found something to read. Your approach of selecting unfamiliar libraries online to minimize personal bias is such a good idea! Using different online forms for the personalized RA service was such a creative way to get this secret shopper assignment done! It is interesting that you note that the library with the least impressive form turned out to offer the most satisfying RA experience.
    I appreciate how you applied the old phrase “Don’t judge a book by its cover” here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I actually found a lot of somethings to read, thanks to this assignment lol Not a bad "problem" to have, right? :)

      Delete
  2. It's really impressive that you thought to look for RA forms online to do this assignment, I never would have had that train of thought!

    What kind of questions were asked on the forms that you liked and didn't like, and what about the forms made you not like them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Since I'm not able to get to a library in-person, I had to consider my next-best option.

      The questions I most liked (even though they required extra time and effort to answer properly) were the ones that asked specifics - what titles/authors I liked, but more importantly, why I liked them. The more details provided, the better the chance at receiving successful RA recommendations. And, the flip side of that coin, the forms I didn't respond well to only asked general questions, with no clarifying aspects - list a genre you like, list the last book you liked (no asking why, or to explain more).

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy the direction you took this assignment, even if it was out of necessity! This is a side of RA that I hadn't considered as much before, but I can see how options like these could be used by patrons in a variety of situations. I wonder how the in-person vs online RA interactions at each library would compare; would they be the same quality, or do in-person interactions sometimes sacrifice quality and thoroughness in favor of efficiency? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the library I went to has an online feature too and was seriously thinking of trying it out. Even though I'm happy with my overall experience, now that I've read some other people's more in depth experiences I wonder if I'll have a different result and possibly more recommendations with an online form.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts