Week 3 - Prompt Response


Prompt 1

Use NoveList to answer the following questions and explain why you chose the books you did.

1.    I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the
      Anita Blake series and I can't figure out which one comes next!

      The Lunatic Cafe

      After searching for Laurell K. Hamilton under the 'author' drop down, and
      selecting Anita Blake under the 'series' tab, I saw that this was the fourth book
      in the series.


2.    What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara
       Kingsolver,
Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the
       way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.

      The Legend of Charlie Fish by Josh Rountree

      Champion of the Scarlet Wolf  by Ginn Hale

      Yellow Emperor's Cure by Kunal Basu

      Since the patron enjoyed Kingsolver's use of language, but wanted to read
      something with a faster pace, I searched using the same language terms within
      Prodigal Summer (descriptive, lyrical, lush) and added the search filter 'fast-paced'.


3.    I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could
       you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern - historical. I like it when the
       author describes it so much it feels like I was there!

      The Dragon Scroll by I.J. Parker

      The Thousand Autumns of Jaco De Zoet by David Mitchell

      Claws of the Cat: A Shinobi Mystery by Susan Spann

      These books are all set in historical-era Japan and claim writing styles such as,
      'descriptive', 'richly detailed', and 'well-researched'.


4.    I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled In Murder and
       I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I like mysteries I would probably like John
       Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?

      Roseanna by Maj Sjowall

      The Missing File by Dror Mishani

      Special Tracking Unit by Spencer Kope

      Similarly to Well-Schooled In Murder, these books are police procedural
      mysteries, involving likable characters, with intricate plots, suspenseful tone,
      and compelling writing style. Since the patron found John Sandford creepy, I made
      a point of excluding characteristics such as flawed character, violent tone, and
      gritty writing style.


5.    My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He's already read The Walking
       Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?

        Zombies: A Brief History of Decay by Olivier Peru

        Zombie Generation (The Rage Volume 1) by Pierre Boisserie

        The Living Dead by George A. Romero

        Omega Days by John L. Campbell

        I have offered two each of graphic novel and fiction options, all of which
        revolve around a theme of a zombie apocalypse, are action-packed and/or
        fast-paced, with gruesome/violent tone, along the same lines as both The
        Walking Dead
and World War Z.


6.    I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you
       recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.

      All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr  (Netflix - November 2023)

      The Color Purple by Alice Walker  (Theaters - December 2023)

      Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh  (Theaters - December 2023)

      The Zone of Interest by Martin Amis  (Theaters - December 2023)

      NoveList has a general "Page to Screen" genre tag and Quick Link page,
      specifically highlighting books-to-movies being released for the current year.
      The choices I provided were all from the Quick Link page, and since the patron
      expressed extra interest in the literary genre, these choices all have
      relevant literary characteristics, including character-driven story, thought-
      provoking/bleak/atmospheric tone, and lyrical/stylistically complex writing style.


7.    I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean
       and fast paced.

      Acceleration by Graham McNamee

      Streams of Babel by Carol Plum-Ucci

      The Mary Shelley Club by Goldy Moldavsky

      Throwaway Girls by Andrea Contos

      In order to find recommendations without foul language and sex scenes, I
      searched using the 'Teen' age filter. The choices I selected from the results are
      fast-paced, suspenseful, and compelling.


Prompt 2

How do you find books to read?

    For many years, my go-to source for finding (and keeping track of) books has
    been Goodreads. Before that, I would most often find new-to-me
    authors/series by reading reviews/read-alike mentions within books I had already
    read, asking those I knew with similar tastes to me for recommends, browsing the
    New section at the library, and asking my local librarians. Since going back to
    school for my MLIS, I've added a few more resources to my repertoire, including
    What Should I Read Next? and Fantastic Fiction.
 


Picture Reference: Pauliukevich, Y. (n.d.). Library wooden interior [Cartoon archive warehouse Free Vector]. Vecteezy. 


Comments

  1. Hi Maryanne, It is interesting how different students used different methods when it comes to looking for a book without foul language and sex scenes. I saw one student searched NoveList using the terms "thriller" and "chaste". Another student knew of several religious authors that write thrillers that do not include language and sex. You have proposed a third scenario, where the thrillers are meant for teens. If the patron was looking for books without foul language or sex scenes because they are a Mormon, I do not know how Throwaway Girls by Andrea Contos would go, because the main character talks about being gay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! That's one thing (of many) I find fascinating about those of us who work as information professionals - we are all so varied in taste and experience! I wouldn't have thought of using 'chaste' as a search term, but its a great option. And personally, I don't have a lot of experience with religious authors, but for those who do, it must be a great feeling to have that experience ready at hand to use for RA service!

      Delete
  2. I had trouble finding a good zombie book. There is endless movies and tv shows about zombies, but books were harder for me to find to recommend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts